Dear Parents, Students, and Community Members:
On behalf of North Branford Public Schools, it is my pleasure to welcome you to the 2017/2018 school year. The North Branford Public Schools embrace the responsibility of ensuring that every student and staff member has the opportunity to reach their full potential.
As we begin the 2017/2018 school year, I would like to introduce you to some new programs and initiatives throughout the district:
- North Branford Public Schools are proud to enhance our early childhood learning program with the addition of a grant-funded Prekindergarten classroom at Jerome Harrison Elementary School. This program, combined with our successful full-day kindergarten and transitional first grade classroom, will undoubtedly provide our students with a solid foundation.
- The district is also creating MakerSpaces, spaces where students can gather to create, invent, and learn, in support of our technology-rich culture at Totoket Valley Elementary School and throughout the district.
- At North Branford Intermediate School, adjustments to Academic Support Time offerings are being made to ensure all students’ needs are being addressed with appropriate support and challenge.
- North Branford High School staff participated in several summer professional development sessions to expand and support our expansive course offerings at the school including the College Board Advanced Placement Physics Course and Project Lead the Way’s Civil Engineering and Architecture.
- Administration has begun the process of implementing the sharing of NBIS and NBHS resources in an effort to increase academic rigor, continuity and consistency at the secondary level. This will also allow the district to capitalize on available resources and district expertise.
- The Wellness Council, under the direction of Carter Welch, has received state grant funding to create a North Branford Local Prevention Council. This group will be working to plan a variety of presentations during the 2017/2018 school year including age-appropriate healthy decision-making, school-based peer support groups, responsible use of social media, and continued awareness, discussion, and education regarding drug and opiate abuse prevention. These efforts will keep the North Branford community in the forefront on these issues to educate, empower, and sustain safe, healthy and productive lives for our students and families.
- Several facilities improvements and initiatives were completed:
- North Branford High School - asbestos abatement and preliminary work for science hood renovation.
- North Branford Intermediate School - work began on installation of sound suppression in band room and replacement of flooring in the band and choral music rooms.
- Totoket Valley Elementary School - obsolete fluorescent lights replaced with new LED light pads.
- Jerome Harrison Elementary School - tile was replaced in several classrooms, new bathroom partitions were installed, and a proposal was obtained to design a canopy between the JH annex and the main building.
- Stanley T. Williams (BOE) - Valves and thermostats were replaced and isolation valves were installed to improve efficiency and facilitate maintenance of the heating system.
I sincerely thank all staff members for their assistance in collaborating, initiating programs and completing building improvements. I also thank and acknowledge the Board of Education for their role in providing the guidance and support necessary to reach these goals as we provide Excellence in Education to all North Branford students! I wish everyone a successful and fulfilling 2017/2018 school year!
Scott Schoonmaker Superintendent of Schools